Urine Ketone usually ordered for these purposes:
- Screening for ketonuria in pregnant women because ketoacidosis is a prominent factor that contributes to intrauterine death.
- Screening for ketonuria in persons with diabetes
- Screening for ketonuria in persons with Acidosis: to judge the severity of acidosis and to monitor the response to treatment.
The principle of chemical strip testing:
- This test is based on the development of colors ranging from buff-pink, for a negative reading, to purple when acetoacetic acid reacts with sodium nitroprusside.
- Urine testing only detects acetoacetic acid, not the other ketones, acetone or beta-hydroxybuteric acid.